Gutting the Bedrooms
With our bed currently sitting in place of a dining table and clothes stacked on boxes around the house, it’s pretty clear where the renos have to begin.
When the rest of the house is covered in dust or held together with builder’s plastic, we’re going to need somewhere to escape to – a little sanctuary amongst the chaos. What better than a cosy, finished bedroom to motivate us through the next stage of work?
The house was advertised as having 3 bedrooms, but it’s more like 2 + 1/2. The third bedroom is part of the sunroom built on to the back of the house, and measures around 6m2. We’ve decided to remove it completely in favour of an outdoor entertaining area, but more on that at a later date.
The 2 remaining bedrooms are both pretty roomy, at around 4m x 4m each. They
have had built-in robes, in poor condition, and some delicious peachy/pink walls.
We started gutting the bedrooms by removing the robes, which had been well and truly built in. With the cupboards out, one of our first discoveries was revealed – the house was originally a weatherboard. It’s since been covered with metal cladding and we’re not yet sure why, but we’d love to take it back to the original timber eventually.
The plaster used in the walls and ceilings is HEAVY DUTY. Before plasterboard sheets were invented, all sorts of stuff was used to reinforce wet plaster, including asbestos. Ours appears to be sisal so it’s non toxic, but weighs an absolute ton.
The dust that came down with the ceiling would have to be toxic, though. Thankfully the current living areas are blocked off by the hallway and we didn’t end up with too much through the rest of the house.
It didn’t take long to fill the first 4m skip, nor the second. With the walls, ceilings, robes, and carpet out we finally got a good look at what we’d spent all this money on. After all, the bits you don’t usually see are the ones that cause the most drama – roof supports, borer-damaged studs, crooked stumps… The upside is it can all be fixed, and the borers are long gone.
With the rooms stripped back to bones we can start straightening frames, re-plastering, painting, laying carpet and – best of all – putting in a new wardrobe. The good thing is there is no rush – no looming deadline to have things complete, other than our own desire to move out of the dining room.
The current setup feels a bit “temporary”, and thankfully it is. We’re hoping to finish the bedrooms by the end of September but we’ll see…